driving the car that's at Beza right now (courtesy of another research
team) took forever on the road back. But, I can't complain since it
was in a car and not in an ox cart. K was a little disappointed that
she didn't get to ride in a charette back to camp, but I assured her
that she would get the full experience soon enough.
When we got back to camp I had a suprise -- that one of my study
subjects was missing. A juvenile male. One of the last two left in our
study groups. Doh! So, now I only have one male left to fill out the
9-20 month old section of my data collection. The males were hit hard
this year, and I really, really hope that the last guy doesn't get
eaten.
It's been busy and pretty fun the last couple of weeks at camp. The
above-mentioned research team brought 4 people, so camp has been
pretty active. There is constantly something new going on, and it's
kind of nice to see some of my study animals up close when the other
team has darted them and are completing their measurements, dental
impressions, and other business. The uncollared animals are getting
their brand new bling-- bright and shiny collars and numbered tags.
It's a little strange to see them with collars -- and to have a number
to refer to them by and not just a nickname or age-sex category. But,
they do look nice with their new brightly colored accessories.
No comments:
Post a Comment