12 May, 2009

Tana

We made it! The flights over went really smoothly. Sadly, I didn't have time to leave Heathrow to see a friend, but I got to nap instead. Terminal 5 at Heathrow is huge and ridiculous, but it was better than sitting in a tiny tiny terminal in a place like, say, Grand Forks (sorry to all the Grand Forks fans).

Upside --I was afraid that I was going to have to sell a kidney to pay for a second set of excess baggage fees when I got to South Africa and transferred from BA to South African air since K had to when she came out 2 weeks ago and the airline told me I would as well-- turns out, if you tell them you've already paid, show a receipt for an original payment, smile and say that you're living in a tent for a year, you don't have to.

Downside-- But, true to form our bags didn't make it. A and I waited, and nothing showed up. We're checking on that situation today and hopefully they make it here. Last time, it took 3 or 4 days though. That wasn't ideal.

We had a brief meeting at MICET when we got in yesterday. Permits seem to be ready to go and we are heading back today so that we can go shopping for all of our food and other random things. Hopefully I can get a cell phone too, which will make things more convenient.

One of the things that I had forgotten about was jet lag. I has it. Both A and I went to sleep last night around 7. I managed to sleep until about 3 and then stare at the dark for a while and finally get back to sleep for a few more hours until waking up to some guy below the hotel selling some random thing. I know this because he shouts the same phrase over and over and over. Good times at the St. Laurent.

Off to do some shopping.

3 comments:

  1. the guy yelling things over and over -- it's the taxibe "pusher". not the driver, mind you, but the dude who takes your money. he's shouting out the bus routes. you'd think the little sign in the windshield would suffice. but alas...

    hahaha! enjoy st. laurent! (at least it sounds like you haven't yet experienced the howling dogs and f*ing roosters) *hugs* have fun, teague. soak it all in. it's going to be the time of your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey teague
    bummer about the bags!
    what's the political situation in Tana like?

    ReplyDelete