14 May, 2009

Packing up to leave Tana

Is the goal for today. Hopefully we're able to exit Tana quickly and without too many stops out on the way. We still have to arrange visa extensions and I have some questions I still need to ask, so it might take awhile. Oh, and we have to pack a lot of stuff into a not so big truck bed. It could be very interesting. Between the 3 of us there are 9 pieces of checked luggage (mine are giant) and then all of our food and other supplies. Tetris will be fun.

Yesterday was mostly driving back and forth from the airport, so not much new to report on that front besides we got our bags. It was a close one since of course they hold all of the 'rush' marked bags until the very, very end. Then, as we were clearing customs I was dumb/tired enough to say I had a generator in one of the action packers whcih set off a cascade of the customs guys looking at each other, one coming back, asking how big it was, and me finally having to go off with one exasperated official looking one to his office. He started rummaging through papers, and obviously couldn't find what he wanted. He asks if I speak French and then proceeds to tell me that I need a customs declaration form. Probably is, he doesn't have any copies of one (and no photocopier). He tells me I need to pick one up at the airport (I was at the airport) and I was afraid he was going to make me leave everything that we had been waiting 2 days for at customs, come back the next day and find someone with a tiny form/photocopier. I then some explained that I haven't needed one before, but I sure will do it next time. He looks at me and starts to usher me out of the office saying that yes, I will definitely do it next time and to pick up a form when I leave the country. Beauracracy at its best.

Looks like its time to pack things up here and to move on. If I can get the internet card working then there should be more later.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Teague, It has been so much fun reading about your travels. It is amazing to hear all about your preparation and all that needs to be done. Kate just go hooked up so I could respond. I hope you will continue to keep us updated!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete