I'm sitting in the airport in Phoenix, trying to figure out what to do with myself. I've had a drink already (last time to be carded for a long time I suspect), so now I'm checking email and catching up on internet-type things.
The experience of packing up and moving out of the country and into a tent for a year has been a strange one. On the one hand, I've done this many times before. Leaving for 3 months here, a 6 month stint there, and month-long trips all seem to be standard to me. But this feels much different. It's longer, more involved, and I'm leaving behind people and things that I love very much. This is also supposed to be the big data collection push, so the quality of my final dissertation product hinges on what I'm able to accomplish in the months to come. The strangeness and enormity of being gone for the next 10-12 months didn't really hit me until this weekend and I'm still wandering around in it, I guess.
I am excited to get things going. I'm expecting it to be a fantastic experience. I have a great set of field assistants who will help me with collecting data, and I will be able to see two of my best friends at Beza.
Now if only I can get these damn flights out of the way...
No comments:
Post a Comment