02 January, 2010

One reason why I love my job...


Today one of my favorite infants decided that he would be my friend.
His name is i171 -- he belongs to one of the cheekiest of the females
who comes into camp and has a particularly bold older sister (her name
is Bumps). I haven't been able to think of a name that will stick to
the little guy yet, so suggestions are welcome.

I was sitting on the cement floor of the thatched shade structure in
camp and saw his mom lie down just behind me. I heard a lemur walking
up behind me, then saw a tail out of the corner or my eye. He decided
to slink underneath my legs, and up against my calf like a cat and
then sit down between my shoes. His hands were on my shoe and he sat
and stared up at me for a few minutes. He just wanted to hang out I
guess. After a little while he went under the other leg and walked
over to check out what his mom was doing and hopefully get some milk.
After getting denied a prime nursing opportunity he came back to me,
stood up on his back legs, put his hands on my arm and gave me a
pleading look.

This made my day. I think it's the closest that I'll get to have one
of the babies crawl into my lap, but I'll take it. Man, habituation is
great.

No comments:

Post a Comment