02 September, 2009

Good times (or when the money floats away)

Well, not all times are good in Madagascar. On our way in to Tulear on
Friday, I found out that one of my granting organizations was going to
suspend my fellowship (which was substantial) because of security
concerns in Madagascar. I was kindly informed that I could move my
fellowship to another Sub-Saharan African country if I were so
inclined.

Excuse me? What was that?

Now, the serious political unrest in Madagascar started in January
and, for the most part, was over with by the end of February. Since
then there was a general feeling of unease, but currently talks are
under way (or concluded -- I'm not quite sure) to form a transitional
government. If serious security concerns were to be made, it seems
that it was during the initial time of the coup, not now. The
coordinator for my fellowship knew that I was leaving for Madagascar
in May, and I even checked to make sure that the fellowship would
continue to be available to me before I left. It was supposed to start
in July, but paperwork, etc etc. I should have started working off of
their support now, so, the email telling me, that no, in fact they
weren't going to support me here was a bit of a surprise.

We're trying to work through everything, but it's a bit disconcerting,
especially when I'm on the opposite side of the world and 10 hours
ahead of Phoenix and 7 hours ahead of the East Coast. Luckily K & I
were having a final goodbye dinner with AR & BD, and they were
incredibly helpful with support and suggestions for what to do next.
My advisor and director of our international scholarship office have
also been incredibly helpful, and hopefully the fellowship will be
reinstated, especially considering that I am already here. Seriously.
I'm here. Doing my thing. Keep the money coming guys. It's going to
good use, I swear.

Security concerns? Now? I think that someone just caught an old Google
update on Madagascar. Either they have some incredible intelligence on
what will happen in the future, or are a bit behind the curve. Could
be both, I guess.

Some musings on the security concerns. In January-February it was of
incredible concern, especially since my friend S was here working at
Beza. Then, I was unsure about what kind of reaction to the faffing
around Tana she would see here in the south, but the answer is
nothing. Not a thing. The south of Madagascar is really a long way
from Tana, and Beza is a long way from the major city, Tulear. The
people around Beza need to be more concerned with their day-to-day
lives than changes in a relatively non-existent government (in our
area). I don't feel in any way that my security is being threatened
(except by the Police who were trying to extort some bribes the other
day, but that's a different story). I have a great set of colleagues,
friends, and employees here who I really feel that I can count on and
who I feel have my best interest at heart. While we may not go about
things in the same way, I feel like they're always looking out for me
and my team, and I certainly know that they are always keeping tabs on
the vazaha -- whatever we may be doing.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for increased understanding and
movement in the bureaucracy. I hope the wheels keep on turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment